Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 13 ~ 30 Days of Nothing Challenge


Day 13

Ugh, Monday.  Blueberry strata for Breakfast, and leftovers from last night for Lunch.

I cleaned out the fridge and found a few amazing treasures: two carrots, some potatoes, and a can of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls.  Crescent Rolls!!!  I've never been so excited to see a little can of bread dough in my life.  Not to brag or anything, but Dinner tonight was kind of a big deal.  I made Veggie Potpie- and it tasted really freaking good.
<-- Check out these ingredients I collected. Doesn't it look like a cookbook cover?


The green onions, basil, and parsley are from the garden.  These 'chicken flavored' bullion cubes have no meat derived ingredients.  I can't decide if I feel more excited or horrified by that.  Chicken broth is a staple in many of recipes, so imagine how thrilled I was the day I found a vegetarian substitute.  On the other hand...it is a little disturbing that a product called 'Chicken Bullion' is somehow manufactured without meat.  Its weird, but I'm working with limited resources here, so I'm going to roll with it.


Ingredients (makes four servings):
5 or 6 small potatoes (baked)
1 carrot
1 onion
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 can condensed Cream of Mushroom soup
1 bullion cube, any flavor
1/2 a can of crescent rolls (4 rolls)
fresh parsley
fresh basil
fresh green onions
1/2 cup water
a dash of garlic powder

Directions:
Boil water in a small sauce pan and add the bullion cube.
Once the cube has dissolved, turn the heat to low and stir in the Cream of Mushroom soup, garlic powder, and peas.
Mince the parsley, basil, and green onion.  Add to sauce pan.
To cook the carrot, I cut it up, then microwaved it in a small bowl of water for 2 minutes. 
Stir carrot pieces into the sauce pan.
Dice and saute the onion in olive oil, then dice the potatoes and add to the pan for about 5 minutes.
Mix the potatoes and onions into the saucepan.
Pour mixture into a greased 9x9 glass dish and cover with the four triangles of Pillsbury Crescent Roll dough.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment