Friday, January 27, 2012

I Remember You....


Remember buying new CDs? 
I loved to read the lyrics to all the songs.  I’ve been thinking about how we don’t have that opportunity anymore because most music is downloaded from Itunes.  The lyrics were written out like poetry, almost separate from the songs.  For this project, I sifted through old CDs and pulled out the cover booklets to rediscover songs that I liked.  I read the lyrics and watched old school music videos on youtube. Hearing each song was like a turning a key that unlocked so many precious memories: crushes, heartbreaks, time with friends.  For a moment, I was right there in my childhood bedroom again reading those lyrics and fusing my feelings with the lines of the songs.



While listening to hours of nostalgic music, I used an x-acto knife to cut the covers into detailed images that mirrored my memories.  I worked on this all afternoon until my fingers were numb.  In the pages, I wrote out bits and pieces from each song.  More than just the song, I wanted to show what I was feeling when I heard it.  The antique paper keys on the cover were cut from the actual lyric pages.  I sewed the book back together and here it is.

The Sketchbook Project travels around the country with thousands of books and sets up in museums.  People can check out the books (similar to the library) and flip through them.  Last year, my friend Jon checked out my sketch books at the SXSW film festival.  The artist picks a theme, pays the fee, and is sent any empty sketch book to fill any way they'd like.  People come up with such different and amazing ideas, this is a really awesome project to be a part of.






This is the second time I’ve entered.  Last year, I had so many ideas that I entered two books. This time I struggled.  My theme, “I remember you,” seemed so promising when I chose it, but the empty book sat untouched on my desk for three months.  To be included in the tour, all sketchbooks must be postmarked by January 31, which was approaching rapidly.  Yesterday in the shower, the idea to use old CDs came to me (thankfully, just in time).  I’m so relieved to get it in the mail this afternoon.  here are my pages:

No comments:

Post a Comment